Nature has picked up ORPHANS

 


The journal Nature just bought my short story, ORPHANS. The story started life with the above photo, taken by Jonathan B. Smith. This was one of the photos that Jonathan would send to me and I'd try to write an exactly-280-character story about it.

With this one, I wrote about an android in a store window. And then for some reason, I wrote a second 280-character story about the woman in front of the window.

I merged the two ideas into a single story, told from two perspectives, and today Nature bought the story.

For me, it's especially sweet because as a science writer for two decades, I've written about scientists who have their research published in Nature, and it's usually a high point of their careers. Nature also runs a single page of science fiction with each issue. I decided no matter what, at some point in my career I would publish a story in Nature. So I'm a happy camper today.

Comments